LPN was launched in 1948 under the leadership of Professor Carlos Beata Neves, to answer to the poet Sebastião da Gama appeal for the conservation of Arrábida Mountain. Since then LPN maintains a close contact with universities and science organizations, from Portugal and other countries. A substantial number of its members come from these institutions. They constitute a valuable technical Sponsors to validated intervention.
The building of LPN headquarters in Lisbon was donated in 1976 by the family Freire de Andrade and in 2000 suffered a substantial rehabilitation and it was converted in an Environmental Educational and Training Centre. LPN also has another Environmental Educational Center in Castro Verde. LPN is accredited by National Institution for Quality Training (IQF), the Portuguese National Institute responsible to attribute this confirmation.
LPN owns and sustainable manages six estates in the Castro Verde region that are classified as biological nature reserves with a total area of 1800 hectares.
LPN is a member of IUCN - The World Conservation Union, the EEB (European Environmental Bureau), the CIDN (Conselho Ibérico), the MIO-ECSDE (Mediterranean Information Office for Environmental Culture and Sustainable Development),the SAR (Seas at Risk), the EUCC (European Union for Coastal Conservation) and National Commission of UNESCO.
LPN is also the National agency of the Naturopa Centre of Europe Council and it is a founder member of the National Network of Environmental Education.